Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Better Safe Than Sorry

Last night as I was getting Sidney ready for bed I noticed that she had a red pinpoint rash on her torso, back and neck that seemed to have appeared out of nowhere. I knew I had not seen it there until now. My first thought was that it could have something to do with the fact that she is cutting 3 molars right now and I have read that sometimes teething can cause a rash. So...I didn't think too much about it and just put her to bed as usual. After two hours of trying to get her to sleep, I started getting really concerned. She was just more uncomfortable and cranky than usual. Remberto was at work so I decided to call Sid's pediatrician who told me to go to the ER ASAP as she wanted to rule out meningitis. MENINGITIS! (Guess the way I was describing the rash and the fact that Sidney was more irritable than usual was more cause for concern than I thought). So Remberto came home from work to be with Kennidy, Linda and Steven who were sleeping and off we went to the ER.

In the end, we spent from 11pm-2am (Tuesday morning) in the ER and were told that her rash was in fact a classic allergic drug reaction. Doc assumes it can most likely be attributed to the Motrin Sidney has been taking for her teething as Tylenol is much less likely to cause an allergic reaction.


In the ER


Can't see the rash too clearly here...but...it's there

So no more Motrin for Sidney. She is doing much better today. Just happy we ruled out MENINGITIS!!!

No comments:

Followers